March 10, 2012

Still Drawing

I have found that drawing, simply the act of recreating something on the page, or on an ATC, is important for me. I have been doing it every day, even if it is just a sketch. I think this is the only way to get better at it.

This dog picture, well, I don't hate it! I used a reference photo and actually got the proportions relatively right!

I'm still having problems coming up with backgrounds, though, as you can see. I get a drawing the way I want it, get it colored, and then get stuck about what to put behind or around it. It's a real challenge for me and I've not yet figured out how to approach it.


3 comments:

  1. Traci, I think your background is just fine here. It puts the focus on the dog. But if you want to learn about backgrounds and getting color on your paper you might consider looking for art journaling tutorials on YouTube. Backgrounds are one of the things they deal with as it is your first step.
    Thanks for following on my blog. I"m following on yours now too. So fun to connect with other artists.
    Blessings,
    Coleen
    an American in Ukraine

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, I love that blue zentangled flower as your Etsy shop picture. It's a beauty.

    Coleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Coleen! I'll take your advice, and thank you for the compliments! I'm glad we are now blog buddies!

    ReplyDelete