January 9, 2012

101 Faces and practice practice practice!

Carla Sonheim's "Faces 101" class wrapped up last Friday, though I'm still finishing my 101 faces. Yep, that's what the class was, 101 faces! While the class was not about specific methods for drawing faces, she challenged us to use various media and techniques to draw many faces, all with no erasing (except for the exercise where that's all you could use was an eraser...oops, spoiler alert!).

I learned the true meaning of practice when it comes to my drawing in this class. For instance, the piece here is one of 10 drawings done with colored pencil, no erasing, from the same photograph. I learned that to get better at drawing is not only about new techniques and ways of drawing the components of things (though that it useful), it is important to draw the same thing over and over and over again until you get closer to the image you want. I was missing that part of my growth in drawing. Thank you, Carla, once again!

No comments:

Post a Comment