December 11, 2011

Why do people like this card?

This is an exercise for the Fantastic Faces workshop I'm taking at ArtTrader magazine. I posted it at ATCsForAll, and people seemed to really like it. I'm surprised, because I almost didn't post it for trade. I uploaded it to my flickr account where, Andrea, the teacher of the workshop, could look over my exercises and give me feedback. But I decided what they hey, and uploaded it.

Why the interest? I think maybe because there is a story here (you insert story...I have mine, but art is subjective), and some heart, and maybe, just maybe a part (or parts?) of myself in it.

I don't think the technique is good at all. I'm just practicing. But response to this piece has made me step away from the technique and focus on coloring, contrast, etc., all the things I'm learning in Andrea's workshop. Plus I'm getting pretty mean with the colored pencils, and I love it.

Here is a piece that is more me, I think. But I don't think I let go enough with it. I had a strong idea of what I wanted to convey with it, but had some trouble letting myself go wild with color experimentation. I think I may have got the contrast right, or closer, in any case, and I'm not un-pleased with color choice...but I think I could have pushed this farther.

And of course I leave it up to you, dear and few readers, to tell me what you think. I'm enjoying this process and feel like I'm learning a mile a minute. I'm still on my quest to meld technique and soul...hope I'm getting closer.

Oh, and take a workshop with Andrea Melione at ArtTrader Magazine. Soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment