December 14, 2011

A New Face

I'm so lucky to have an online community to make me feel special on my birthday. This year is an interesting one for me. I think today makes me officially "middle aged" but I don't feel like that. In some ways I feel my life is just starting.

Someone asked me recently what I do for fun. I have problems with depression so this gets asked regularly to see how I'm doing. Now I respond quickly and say "Art". No hesitation. It is what I do when I get restless, feel sad, don't know what to do with myself (as well, of course, when I feel inspired and happy). Its what I do, all the time if I can, even if its just a few strokes on a piece or coloring a bit of something.

I'm reading a book that has to do with menopause, which I am not quite at yet. However, the book focuses more on the power a woman gains/regains/discovers at midlife that fuels her passion. I certainly feel changed and hope that this art habit continues, as my learning does.

Guess what is new? Maybe this seems like nothing to seasoned artists, but last night, for the first time, I drew 3 pieces without reference pictures. I usually at least get the basics off of a photo or pic, but last night I was working on the "Girl Power" swap cards, and drew faces all by myself. And they are pretty good, in proportion, etc.

I credit Andrea Melione for this, and what I've learned so far in the "Fantastic Faces" workshop. Her methods of drawing faces and what I've learned before are different, but my brain melded the two and voila, I had a face. I also am no longer afraid to color in skin anymore, which used to be a battle. Shading with pencils, no problem, but adding color? I'd try to fudge that. Now I get in there with my colored pencils and its fun and I think it looks better.

Thank you everyone for your support over this year. I hope to continue to grow as an artist and a person in the coming year. And wish that for all of you this holiday season!

No comments:

Post a Comment